This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
***Post contains affiliate links. This means I earn a small commission off of purchases made through the links***
This recipe was developed out of necessity. It was yet another night when our chicken had not thawed all the way and it’s just too darn hot for soup. My Instant Pot has seriously saved my butt so many times when food hasn’t thawed (or I just forgot to take it out of the freezer at all). I’ve posted other Instant Pot recipesthat don’t require chicken to thaw and I think they may be my favorite kind. This BBQ Shredded Chicken was so easy to make and packed a very flavorful punch. It’s also super easy to customize to your taste by switching up the brand of BBQ sauce. This serves 3-4 people but could easily be doubled for larger families.
- 2 large chicken breasts (1.5-2lbs of chicken)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1.5 tbs of brown sugar (you can add more if you want it sweeter)
- ½ cup chicken broth (you can use water in a pinch)
- 1 ¼ cup BBQ Sauce- we like to use Stubbs Original b/c it’s Gluten Free)
- It’s important to place the ingredients in the order listed. This will help to keep the bottom of the pot from burning.
- Pour chicken stock into InstantPot then add chicken breasts
- Sprinkle garlic powder and paprika over chicken
- Pour BBQ sauce on top making sure to coat evenly
- Add chopped onion
- Top with brown sugar but do not stir
- Place lid on Instant Pot cook 15-17 minutes. If chicken is completely frozen in crease cook time to 20 min.
- Do a 10 minute natural release.
- After removing the stainless steel pot I drain off a bit of the liquid being careful not to dump the chicken or thicker sauce. You don’t have to do this but I don’t like mine to be runny.
- Shred Chicken. I like these meat clawsto shred mine.
- Serve! It’s great on roles as a sandwich, in a bowl on it’s own, in salads etc.
Let me know in the comments if you make it and what you think!