This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
***Post contains affiliate links. This means I earn a small commission off of purchases made through the links***
Here in Florida we are all bracing for Hurricane Irma. Water is flying off the shelves, gas lines are long, and we all have our batteries hoarded but there are some things I’m doing that haven’t been mentioned that are important, too!
- Stock up on disposable diapers and baby wipes, even if if you use cloth diapers like we do. If water and/or power goes out you won’t be able to wash cloth diapers!
- Make sure you have non-perishible food your kids will actually eat. Canned soup, beans, and tuna are fine for adults but my toddler will have no part in that. Peanut butter crackers and baby food pouches it is!
- Dog/cat food if you have a pet. ’nuff said.
- MORE baby wipes, even if you don’t have kids!!! You will thank me when there’s no water and you can clean your hands, wipe your under arms etc.
- Paper plates, cups, and disposable cutlery– you don’t want to use precious water to wash dishes if there isn’t any!
- Propane or charcoal for your grill so you can heat up food. If you don’t have a grill a small hibachi or camping grill is a great thing to have.
- Dry shampoo if you are so inclined.
- A portable charging bank for your cellphone. You don’t want to waste precious gas or car battery power charging your phone. We have this one (affiliate link) https://amzn.to/2AMNWxL
- Activities for kids that require no electricity- crayons and coloring books, playdoh, books etc
- Fill up your bathtub so you can flush your toilet if the water gets cut off. A water bladder like this one is also a great way to store water. You can also fill garbage cans. Your hot water heater also holds about 30 gallons or so and can be drained.
- CLEAN EVERYTHING! Wash all soiled bedding, laundry, dirty dishes etc. Anything that will smell if you lose power and don’t have AC
- Get cash. ATMs won’t work if there isn’t power and the ones that do work will run out fast.
- Walk through your house and video your possessions for insurance purposes.
I hope you find these tips helpful! Let me know your tips!